Recently, we have noticed an increase in phone scammers claiming to be PNM and threatening customers with disconnection or meter removal. Both residential and business customers have been targeted.
Customers are told to purchase a prepaid gift card through PayPal or at a retailer, and then to call back with the card number, which the scammer then redeems. Scammers are getting better at fooling people and some customers fall prey to the threat of immediate disconnection and the intimidating tone. We have reports that scammers may even be able to manipulate the number that appears on your caller ID to fool you.
Spotting a Scammer
On occasion, PNM does make live outgoing calls to customers to collect a past-due payment.
- Customers are asked for a payment, but we never ask customers to purchase prepaid gift cards or PayPal money cards.
- Check your most recent bill. If there is no disconnect notice, it might be a scam.
If you suspect a call may not be genuine:
What not to do:
- Never provide your PNM account information to someone who has contacted you. A PNM customer service representative will be able to provide you with your PNM account number and past-due amount, which will match your bill.
- Do not automatically buy a prepaid card or paypal card to provide payment without first calling PNM at 1-888-DIAL PNM (888-342-5766).
What to do:
- Tell the caller you will call him or her back, then hang up and call PNM at 1-888-DIAL PNM (888-342-5766). We can tell you if a PNM representative contacted you, and whether you are past due. We will use the information you provide to alert other customers.
- Check your bill: If you are in danger of disconnection, this will be written in bold on the front page.
- Even if you are late with your bill, there are several ways to quickly and safely pay without giving the caller personal or financial information.
- Text #BAL to 78766 from the phone number connected to your PNM account. PNM will instantly text you your account balance so you know whether or not you were just called by a scammer. Not registered to text with PNM? Text #REG to 78766 from the phone number connected to your PNM account to register.
- Call the police. Only the police can track down and arrest a criminal, but they need your help and cooperation to do that. You can also file a complaint with the FTC and the New Mexico Attorney General's office.
If You Need to Make a Payment Quickly
- Call PNM 1-888-DIAL PNM (888-342-5766) and follow the prompts for making a payment 24/7.
- Make a payment online
- Or you can call Western Union directly at 1-877-509-5938 to make a payment.
- Make a payment at more than 70 Western Union throughout our service area. Your payment will be noted in our system within 5 minutes. Find a location near you.
Spread the word. Tell your friends, family and coworkers about the phone scammers. We want to help keep you safe and secure.