Request More Time
Sometimes people need a little help, and we try to be as flexible as possible. A payment extension gives you more time to pay an amount that is already past due and helps you avoid having your services shut off due to non-payment.
If you have received a PNM bill with a disconnect notice, but you are unable to pay the amount due by the "pay no later than" date, you can request a payment extension.
How it works
- Once your request is filed, in most cases you'll know right away if the payment extension was approved.
- If approved, the system will tell you the amount that was extended and the new due date. You will then have the option of accepting or rejecting the payment extension. The new due date for the past-due amount will be about 10 calendar days after the original disconnect date.
To request a payment extension online:
- Log in to your PNM Online Account, or if you don't have an online account, sign up for one today.
- Click on the links: View Detailed Bill, Make a Payment and then Payment Extension.
To request an extension by phone:
- Call PNM Customer Service at (888) 342- 5766 and have your PNM account number handy.
Follow the voice prompts on the automated phone system:
Main menu > Billing and payments
- You will be asked to enter the first nine digits of your account number and the ZIP code of the address where you receive electric service after you say "billing and payments".
After entering your information, select Payment Options > Payment arrangement
- Note: The payment arrangement option will only be offered if there's a past-due amount on the account.
- Main menu > Billing and payments
If your request is approved, the automated phone system will give you a new due date for the past-due balance and the amount due on that date.
- You will be asked to accept or reject the payment extension.
Not all accounts are eligible for more time to pay an already past-due amount. An account cannot be granted a payment extension if any of the following are true:
- The account has more than one bill past due.
- Service already has been scheduled to be disconnected for non-payment.
- The account is signed up for Automatic Payment or Summary Bill.
- If your account has a medical certificate in place, please call us at (888) 342-5766 to discuss other arrangements.