ID Theft - pnmprod
Identity Theft Claim Process
You could be the victim of identity theft if someone has wrongfully obtained your personal information, such as your Social Security number and date of birth, and used this information to open a PNM utility account without your permission.
We urge you to file an identity theft claim with PNM immediately in order to avoid collection activity on any disputed charges if you suspect this has happened to you.
- PNM must receive your completed identity theft claim documents no later than 30 days from the date you reported the suspected identity theft.
- We will review your claim and contact you in writing with the results of the review. Please note - this can take up to eight weeks, depending on the claim.
What you need to do
The following steps should be taken as soon as you become aware that you owe money on a PNM utility account that was opened without your knowledge or authorization.
- Report the suspected ID theft to PNM by contacting PNM Customer Care.
- (888) DIAL-PNM or (888) 342-5766
- File an identity theft report with your local police department. Ask for a copy for your records.
- Download and complete an Identity Theft Victim's Complaint and Affidavit and have it notarized by a notary public.
- This affidavit was developed by a group of credit grantors, consumer advocates and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) attorneys.
- The affidavit has two parts: - ID Theft Affidavit (includes instructions) - use to provide general information about yourself and the ID theft. - Fraudulent Account Statement - use to describe the fraudulent account(s) opened in your name.
- Mail the following completed and signed documents to PNM within 30 days:
- Notarized, original ID Theft Affidavit
- Copy of one of the following as proof of residency for the time that the disputed PNM charges occurred: - Home or apartment rental agreement in your name - Homeowners or auto insurance policy in your name - Property tax bill or utility bill.
- Copy of official ID theft report filed with your local police department.
- Copy of Photo ID (e.g. Drivers License, state photo identity cards, passport, permanent resident card)
Mail documents to:
Attention: Credit Department ¿ MS2560
414 Silver SW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
FAQs: IDENTITY THEFT
What can I do to make sure I'm not victim to identity theft in relation to my PNM account?
- PNM will never call you and ask you to pay your bill by a specific payment method, such as a money order or credit card. If you receive a call like this, call us at (888) DIAL-PNM immediately.
What should I do if I think I owe money on a PNM account that was opened without my knowledge or authorization?
- Report the suspected ID theft to us by calling (888) DIAL-PNM and file a report with your local police department. You should also complete an ID Theft Affidavit, which can found here
How long will it take for PNM to review an identity theft claim?
- We will review a claim and respond in writing with the results, no later than seven (7) business days from the date we receive the completed documents.