Our Commitment - pnmprod
Did you know?
- PNM produces 40% renewables and 55% carbon-free electricity and we plan to make that 100% carbon-free energy
- Since 2007, our energy efficiency programs and reduced use at power plants have saved New Mexico more than 2 BILLION gallons of water. That's enough to fill 47 million bathtubs!
- Over the next 20 years, PNM will avoid an added 1 MILLION metric tons of carbon dioxide through its energy efficiency and load management programs.
PNM is dedicated to protecting our environment because it is the right thing to do and the right thing for New Mexico. We recognize and believe in the importance of protecting human health and the environment. We accomplish this through community involvement, careful planning, strong policies, robust controls and excellent operations.
With your help and dedication to protecting our lands and our air, we remain committed to providing responsible leadership for the preservation of the environment, responding to the impacts of climate change and to continuously improving our operations to reduce environmental impact.
Read our Climate Change Report.
PNM Is Committed to Environmental Stewardship
Our environmental management approach integrates environmental leadership, operational excellence and accountability. We seek opportunities that balance environmental stewardship, system reliability, and customer affordability.
At PNM, we:
- Proactively participate in the development of policies that protect the environment and our customers.
- Raise awareness, encourage participation and educate employees and customers.
- Support environmental research and development, as well as environmental projects and community partnerships through corporate giving and employee engagement.
- Promote environmental protection and wise resource management approaches in our planning and operations. This includes permitting, construction, maintenance, pollution prevention, renewable energy, new technologies, energy efficiency, emission and waste reductions, resource conservation, wildlife and human health and the environment.
- Expect suppliers and contractors to operate in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Proactively seek reuse and recycling opportunities.
- Leverage technology that promotes environmental protection and cost effectiveness.
PNM pledges to:
- Comply with environmental regulations and applicable codes of practice including local, state, federal and tribal laws and regulations.
- Prevent excess air emissions, spills and improper water discharges.
- Educate and empower employees to protect and preserve the environment in their daily activities.
- Conduct regular assessments of the environmental aspects and impacts of our operations. This includes regular environmental reviews conducted through comprehensive audits and corrective action programs.
- Follow economically reasonable and environmentally protective procedures in the absence of explicit environmental laws or regulations.