May 10, 2017
PNM customers save enough electricity to power 904 homes for 1-year
PNM pays customers to recycle old inefficient refrigerators and freezers
Albuquerque - PNM customers recycled a total of 7,854 refrigerators or freezers last year through the PNM Refrigerator Recycling Program. By doing so, customers saved 6,114,764 kilowatt-hours of electricity, which is enough savings to power an average of 904 homes for one-year.
Older refrigerators are much less energy-efficient than new ones. A 25-year-old refrigerator can use up to three times more electricity, 1500 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, compared to about 500 kWh per year.
"Many customers have energy savings sitting inside their garage," said PNM Vice President of External Affairs, Becky Teague. "Recycling an old secondary refrigerator or freezer can save up to $175 annually on electricity bills, and it helps reduce the waste going into our landfills."
Customers who participated in the program last year also saved 3,315 metric tons of CO2 emissions and 2,005,643 gallons of water by recycling old inefficient units.
Details of the energy saving program include:
- Customers receive $50 from PNM for old refrigerators or freezers.
- Free pickup of old refrigerator or freezer units.
- Old refrigerators and freezers must be working to be eligible.
- Old units must be standard kitchen-sized between 10- 27 cubic feet (no dorm-sized refrigerators).
- Residential and commercial customers can recycle two refrigerators or freezers per year. Commercial customers may be able to recycle more with approval from PNM.
- After the unit is picked up, the refrigerant is recovered and reclaimed or destroyed; foam is recovered and reclaimed or destroyed; metals, plastic and glass are recycled; mercury and used oil are recovered and properly disposed. All PNM customers may participate in the program, visiting PNM.com/fridge or call 1-877-838-1139 to schedule their free pick-up.
If media would like a tour of the recycling facility, please contact Shannon Jackson.
PNM makes saving money and energy easy with a variety of rebates, discounts and energy-saving tips. Rebates and incentives for both residential and commercial customers are available. For more information, please visit PNM.com.
With headquarters in Albuquerque, PNM is the largest electricity provider in New Mexico, serving more than 500,000 customers in dozens of communities across the state. PNM is a subsidiary of PNM Resources, an energy holding company also headquartered in Albuquerque. For more information, visit PNM.com.