Did you know?
- PNM produces nearly 50% carbon free energy today and we plan to produce 100% carbon free energy by 2040.
- Our transition to cleaner energy has reduced our carbon emissions by 40%.
- Since 2007, our energy efficiency programs and reduced use at power plants has saved New Mexico over a BILLION gallons of water. That's enough to fill 20,000,000 bathtubs!
- Our use of renewable energy has reduced carbon emissions by nearly a million metric tons, which is the equivalent of three empire state buildings!
PNM Resources is dedicated to protecting our environment and complying with all regulations because that is the right thing to do and the right thing for New Mexico. We recognize and believe in the importance of protecting human health and protecting the environment. We accomplish this through community involvement, careful planning, strong policies, robust controls and excellent operations.
With your help and dedication to protecting our lands and our air, we remain committed to providing responsible leadership for the preservation of the environment, responding to climate change and to continuously improving our operations to reduce environmental impact. Click here to read our Climate Change Report.
Our environmental management approach integrates environmental leadership, operational excellence and accountability. Specifically, we pursue:
Seek opportunities that balance environmental stewardship, system reliability, stakeholder satisfaction and customer affordability.
Maintain a comprehensive environmental management system.
Proactively participate in the development of reasonable and workable environmental legislation and regulation that protect the environment and our customers.
- Participate in strategic discussions about environmental issues.
- Raise awareness, encourage participation, and educate employees and customers.
- Promote customer choice through options that protect the environment and satisfy customers.
- Support environmental research and development, as well as environmental projects and community partnerships through corporate giving and employee engagement.
- Promote environmental protection and wise resource management approaches in our planning and operations and foster continuous improvement. This includes permitting, construction, maintenance and other decision-making, including pollution prevention, renewable energy, new technologies, energy efficiency, emission and waste reductions, resource conservation, wildlife and human health and the environment.
- Conduct a thorough assessment and mitigation when incidents occur resulting in negative environmental impact to prevent reoccurrence.
- Expect suppliers and contractors to operate in an environmentally responsible manner.
- Proactively seek reuse and recycling opportunities.
- Leverage technology that promotes environmental protection and cost effectiveness.
- Comply with environmental regulations and applicable codes of practice including local, state, federal and tribal laws and regulations.
- Prevent excess air emissions, spills and improper water discharges.
- Educate and empower employees to protect and preserve the environment in their daily activities.
- Conduct regular assessments of the environmental aspects and impacts of our operations. This includes regular environmental reviews conducted through comprehensive audits and corrective action programs.
- Follow economically reasonable and environmentally protective procedures in the absence of explicit environmental laws or regulations.
- Communicate environmental performance to the appropriate regulatory agency.
- Engage stakeholders to understand and/or address environmental issues and concerns (E.g.,impacts, siting, renewables, etc.)