Refrigerator Recycling Program
Recycling your old working refrigerator or freezer could help you cut your energy use by up to 20 percent. Plus, if you recycle it, PNM will pick it up for free and give you $75.
Limited Time Offer - Get $75 for recycling your old working fridge or freezer.
This is a limited time offer so please schedule your appointment today to qualify for this great rebate! This offer is valid from June 15 through August 15, 2020. Appointments must be scheduled by August 15, 2020 and the unit pick-up must be completed by September 15th to qualify for the $75 rebate.
Getting started is quick, and easy as 1, 2, 3!
PNM recycles old working refrigerators and freezers for our residential and business customers. Call to schedule an appointment by calling 1- 877-838-1139 or schedule your pick-up date online.
Find out how you could receive additional rebates and savings for your home by using the PNM Home Energy Analyzer tool. You may qualify for an additional $125 rebate on the purchase of a new Energy Star qualified refrigerator.
2. Tell us how you would like to have your unit picked up. In-Home or Outside Pick-up.
Because we're living our lives a little different than we were before, we want to make sure everyone feels safe and we're all practicing social distance. That's why we are offering you the choice of an in-home pick-up appointment or an outside pick-up appointment (garage, patio, porch or behind garage). Whichever you are most comfortable with, we're here to help and ensure you feel good during the process. Just let us know which one you prefer when you schedule your appointment.
Instructions to qualify for the $75 rebate.
- $75 rebate offer is valid from June 15 through August 15, 2020
- Appointments must be scheduled by August 15, 2020
- Unit pick-up must be completed by September 15, 2020
3. When to expect your $75
After you schedule your appointment, we will pick up your old fridge or freezer and haul it away to be recycled. Recycling your fridge or freezer helps keep old, inefficient appliances off the grid and because PNM recycles 95 percent of the unit, they don't end up in a landfill. We handle all the paperwork and you will receive your check for $75 in about four to six weeks.
See if your refrigerator or freezer qualifies for a $75 recycling check
- You must be a PNM customer and own the refrigerator or freezer.
- The refrigerator and/or freezer must be a regular household sized unit (10-30 cubic feet in size).
- The refrigerator and/or freezer must be in working (cooling) order, emptied of all food and beverages at the time PNM comes to pick up the unit.
- Dorm-sized refrigerators do not qualify.
- There is a limit of two refrigerators and/or freezers per household.
Energy Efficiency Facts:
- Older refrigerators are much less energy-efficient than new ones.
- A 25-year-old refrigerator can use up to three times more electricity than a new one, 1500 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year, compared to about 500 kWh per year. This means you would be saving an equivalent of about 119 gallons of gas a year.
- Removing an older, secondary refrigerator in your garage that you hardly use could save you about $175 annually on your electricity bill.
Find out how much you can save by replacing or removing an old fridge.
For Business Customers
PNM also offers a Refrigerator Recycling Program for business customers who are managing offices, or multi-family residences. A limit of two units applies however, more can be accepted if approved by PNM. Please call us at 877-838-1139 to find out more information or schedule an appointment here.
Updated June 15, 2020
FAQs: Refrigerator Recycling Rebate
Does my refrigerator or freezer have to be working for it to be recycled under this program?
- Yes. We can only accept units that are in working order.
How many units can I recycle?
- Residential customers can recycle two refrigerators or freezers per account, per year.
I'm a landlord. Can I recycle a refrigerator?
- If you are the PNM account holder or participate in the PNM Landlord Standby Program, you are eligible to receive the rebate. Typically, PNM can only pay a rebate to the account holder or other responsible party listed on the account.
Can I recycle my dorm-sized refrigerator?
- No. We can only pick up and recycle refrigerators and freezers that are between 10 and 27 cubic feet in size. These dimensions refer to the interior space, rather than the outside dimensions, and can be found on the label on the refrigerator or freezer.
Where do the units go when they're removed from customers' homes?
- All refrigerators and freezers begin the recycling process at the PNM Refrigerator Recycling Facility in Albuquerque. Here, they are disassembled, the harmful refrigerants and oils are removed, and the various materials are shipped to different recycling centers. All in all, 95% of each refrigerator or freezer is recycled.