PNM Sky Blue®:
Renewable Energy for New Mexico
Support Renewable Energy in New Mexico
Did you know that PNM Sky Blue® is New Mexico's own home-grown source of 100% locally-generated, clean energy? PNM Sky Blue® uses 22,000 solar panels from our facility in Los Lunas plus wind purchased from the New Mexico Wind Energy Center near Fort Sumner to give our customers an easy, affordable way to show their support for clean energy. You have the opportunity to support renewable energy in New Mexico by volunteering to participate in the PNM Sky Blue® program.
How the Program Works
Joining PNM Sky Blue® makes it easy and affordable to support clean, renewable wind and solar energy without making the commitment of putting solar panels on your roof or wind turbines in your backyard. The program is completely voluntary, and it has no contract or long-term commitment. Participants in the program will receive a small renewable energy credit on their monthly bills for every kilowatt hour (kWh) they subscribe to as part of PNM Sky Blue®. This means that for every $1.70 you spend on PNM Sky Blue®, you will receive a credit back of about $0.70 cents, or put another way, $.007 per kWh. This is money back in your pocket for supporting renewable energy in New Mexico.
Program Subscription Options
There are two different options for you to choose from depending on how you want to participate in the PNM Sky Blue® program.
Option 1: Block Subscription - Fixed Monthly Cost
This block option is ideal for someone who wants to add more renewable energy to the power grid but wants a fixed cost each month.
- Purchase 100 kWh "blocks" of electricity. Each PNM Sky Blue® 100 kWh block is priced at $1.70 per month above your normal electricity cost. For each 100-kWh block purchased, you will receive a credit on your monthly bill equal to 100 x the renewable energy cost.
- The maximum number of blocks you can purchase will be based on your average usage.
- Example: A customer signing up for two 100 kWh blocks would pay an additional $3.40 per month and receive a renewable energy credit equal to $1.40.
Option 2: Percentage Subscription - Variable Monthly Cost
This percentage option is ideal for someone who wants to add more renewable energy to the power grid based on how much energy they use every month and doesn't mind the cost changing from month to month.
- Purchase any percentage of your monthly electric usage. Each PNM Sky Blue® kWh is priced at $0.017 per month above your normal electricity cost. For each PNM Sky Blue® kWh purchased, you will receive a credit on your monthly bill equal to the renewable energy cost.
- Because your electricity usage varies each month, your PNM Sky Blue® cost will vary monthly with your electric use.
- Example: A customer using 600 kWh of electricity subscribing to 20% of their monthly usage would pay $2.04 per month (20% of 600 kWh = 120 kWh, multiplied by $0.017 = $2.04) and receive a renewable energy credit equal to $0.84 (120 kWh x $0.007).
How to Participate
Signing up for PNM Sky Blue® or to change your participation option is easy. You can log in to your PNM online customer account or give us a call. We¿ll help you get started or make a change to your current subscription.
- Log in to your PNM online customer account
- Call Us: 1-888-342-5766, Monday ¿ Friday
PNM Sky Blue® is an easy and affordable way for you to demonstrate your commitment to the environment while you continue to receive reliable service from PNM.
FAQs: PNM Sky Blue
- Why is there an extra charge for PNM Sky Blue?
- PNM Sky Blue is a voluntary wind and solar energy program, so the only customers who pay for it are the ones who sign up.
- What is PNM Sky Blue?
- PNM Sky Blue is our voluntary program that allows you to purchase wind and solar energy at a premium price to show your commitment to the environment without putting panels on your roof or having a turbine in your back yard. You can purchase 100 kilowatt hour "blocks" of electricity or sign up for a set percentage of your usage.
- If I enroll, does this mean I will only receive renewable power?
- No. The premium you pay helps to put more renewable power onto the PNM grid. The renewable power does not specifically go to provide electricity to your home or business.
- How much can I enroll for?
- You can purchase between 1 and 80 percent of your monthly electric usage. Or, you can purchase 100 kilowatt hour "blocks" up to 80 percent of your monthly usage. You cannot sign up for more than 80% of your usage because PNM already provides 20% of your power from renewable sources.
- If I move does PNM Sky Blue move with me?
- No. You would need to sign up your new PNM account for PNM Sky Blue.