Frequently Asked Questions: Outages
Is it necessary to call when my power goes out?
- Answer: Yes. We may not always know if there's an outage at your specific location, so it's best to let us know. You don't have to call, though. You can also report it online or through our mobile site.
How can I find the status of an outage without having to call?
- Answer: You can view our online outage map or check our mobile outage map to view the status of an outage. For large outages ¿ generally those affecting 1,000 customer or more ¿ we post updates on our Twitter and Facebook pages. You don't need a Twitter or Facebook account to use these pages. Anyone can access the information.
When is the estimated restore time updated?
- Answer: In most cases, we post updates during an outage every 20 minutes.
How long is my food good?
- Answer: During an outage, the best thing to do is to keep your refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible. Food in the refrigerator will keep cold for about for four hours if the doors are not opened. A full freezer will keep food frozen for approximately 48 hours (24 hours if it is half full) if the door is kept closed.
Why do you ask me to check my breakers before calling?
- Answer: If your power is out and your neighbor's is on, we ask that you check to see if your fuse is blown or if your circuit breaker is tripped to determine if it's an isolated problem.