Feb. 10, 2016
PNM Awards $135,000 to Nine Organizations for MainStreet Projects
Albuquerque: PNM recently donated $135,000 for MainStreet projects throughout the state by awarding nine grant recipients $15,000 each to invest in the Main Street in their community. The PNM MainStreet Grant recipients and their projects are:
- Alamogordo MainStreet will give three downtown buildings a façade lift;
- Barelas MainStreet in Albuquerque will partner with Coronado Elementary School to enhance their community garden;
- The Belen MainStreet Partnership will continue the multi-phase restoration process of the old city hall building;
- Corrales MainStreet will refurbish the existing Community Center for use as an Art Center;
- Deming MainStreet will install shade sails for sun protection at the Leyendecker Park;
- DowntownAbq MainStreet in Albuquerque will install pictograph panels on the Santa Fe Freight Building;
- MainStreet de Las Vegas will conduct a series of facelifts on buildings in the city's Railroad Avenue historic district;
- Nob Hill Main Street in Albuquerque will install two banners to hang across Central Avenue;
- Silver City MainStreet will purchase digital projection and sound equipment, screen and acoustical treatment for the Silco Theater to operate as a movie theater again.
"We care about the communities that we serve. Together, through public-private partnerships like MainStreet, we can help to inject new life into local communities, and help build stronger, more sustainable economic environments," said Jo Ann Newton, PNM vice president of External Affairs and Customer Service.
New Mexico MainStreet is a grassroots economic development program of the N.M. Economic Development Department. The program was created by the Legislature in 1984 to assist communities with revitalizing their traditional commercial districts. New Mexico MainStreet works with local MainStreet programs throughout New Mexico to create an economically viable business environment while preserving local, cultural and historic resources.
With headquarters in Albuquerque, PNM is the largest electricity provider in New Mexico, serving more than 500,000 customers in dozens of communities across the state. PNM is a subsidiary of PNM Resources, an energy holding company also headquartered in Albuquerque. For more information, visit PNM.com.