July 2, 2018
PNM emphasizes ways to save money on electricity during hot summer days
(Albuquerque, NM) - Summer is here and with it comes hot weather. Demand for electricity is highest during the summer cooling season. A typical family that uses cooling can expect to see that higher use reflected in their summer bills; therefore, PNM would like to highlight programs that can help identify ways to be more energy efficient and save money during hot summer days.
Evaporative cooling and refrigerated air conditioning
The PNM Cooling Rebate Program reduces the cost for residential customers to purchase and install certain energy efficient cooling equipment in their homes. Rebates are available for evaporative (swamp) coolers, refrigerated air conditioners, room air conditioners, and window units. For more information about the PNM Cooling Rebate Program, visit PNM.com/coolrebate.
Refrigerators and Freezers
PNM offers a recycling program for refrigerators and freezers for residential and business customers. Through the program, PNM will give customers $50 for their old working refrigerator or freezer and will pick up their old one for free. For more information about the PNM Refrigerator Recycling Program, visit PNM.com/fridge or call 1-877-838-1139. Additionally, with a PNM Home Energy Checkup, customers may qualify for rebates on new refrigerators and freezers.
Rebates and discounts
Save money and energy with PNM programs for your home. Rebates are available for energy-efficient air conditioners, evaporative (swamp) coolers, swimming pool pumps, and more. Additionally, by completing a PNM Home Energy Checkup, customers may qualify for rebates on several appliances in the home. Having efficient lighting in your home can help save you up to $65 a year on your electric bill. Discounts are available on LED light bulbs at retailers and at www.pnm.com/homelighting.
In addition to taking advantage of PNM energy efficiency programs, consider these tips to cut your energy use this summer:
How to air condition
- Keep doors and windows closed when refrigerated air conditioning is on.
- Turn off the air conditioner or raise the thermostat setting when gone for an extended period.
- Set the thermostat as high as comfort permits. Save two to four percent on electricity for every degree higher the thermostat is set.
- Turn off air conditioners and open windows whenever possible to allow outside air to cool your home or business.
- Use ceiling fans to help circulate the air. During warm weather, you should run the fan so that the breeze blows downward (leading edge of blades should be pointing up). This creates a cool breeze similar to rolling down a car window. Also, turn off fans when gone.
- Draw blinds, shades or drapes to block the sun during the hottest part of the day.
- Use a microwave rather than the oven to keep the kitchen cooler.
- Avoid using the stove and oven during the hottest part of the day.
- Avoid doing laundry and running dishwashers during the hottest part of the day.
Find more tips at PNM.com/tips.
With headquarters in Albuquerque, PNM is the largest electricity provider in New Mexico, serving more than 500,000 customers in dozens of communities across the state. PNM is a subsidiary of PNM Resources, an energy holding company also headquartered in Albuquerque. For more information, visit PNM.com.