June 9, 2016
PNM highlights ways to save money on electricity during hot summer days
Albuquerque: Summer is almost here and with it comes hot weather. Demand for electricity is highest during the summer cooling season. A typical family that uses cooling can expect to see that higher use reflected in their summer bills. PNM would like to highlight programs that can help identify ways to be more energy efficient and save money during hot summer days.
Rebates and Discounts
Save money and energy with PNM programs for your home. Rebates are available for energy-efficient air conditioners, swamp coolers, heat pumps and swimming pool pumps. Additionally, by completing a PNM Home Energy Checkup first, customers may qualify for rebates on several appliances.
Discounts are available on LED and Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) bulbs at several retailers throughout the state.
Evaporative Cooling, Refrigerated Air Conditioning and Air Source Heat Pumps (mini-splits)
The PNM Cooling Rebate Program reduces the cost for residential customers to purchase and install certain energy-efficient cooling equipment in their homes. Rebates are available for evaporative coolers and refrigerated air conditioners; and new to the program are rebates for air source heat pumps, also known as mini-splits. All of these options include several technologies that qualify for a rebate. Visit PNM.com/coolrebate for more information about PNM's Cooling Rebate Program.
Refrigerators and Freezers
PNM offers a recycling program for refrigerators and freezers for both residential and business customers. Through the program, PNM will give customers $50 for their old refrigerator or freezer and will pick up their old one for free. For more information about the PNM Refrigerator Recycling Program, visit PNM.com/fridge or call 1-877-838-1139.
Additionally, with a PNM Home Energy Checkup, customers may qualify for rebates on new refrigerators and freezers.
Home Energy Checkup
With a PNM Home Energy Checkup, customers receive a personalized report on their home's energy performance and learn ways to become more energy smart, improve their family's comfort and lower their monthly energy costs. Three Home Energy Checkup packages are available ranging from $15 - $45.
To qualify for appliance rebates, customers must first get a PNM Home Energy Checkup.
For more information or to schedule a Home Energy Checkup, visit PNM.com/checkup or call (855) 775-6491.
In addition to taking advantage of PNM's energy efficiency programs, consider these tips to cut your energy use this summer:
How to air condition
- Keep doors and windows closed when refrigerated air conditioning is on.
- Turn off the air conditioner or raise the thermostat setting when gone for an extended period.
- Set the thermostat as high as comfort permits. Save two to four percent on electricity for every degree higher the thermostat is set.
- Turn off air conditioners and open windows whenever possible to allow outside air to cool your home or business.
- Use ceiling fans to help circulate the air. During warm weather, you should run the fan so that the breeze blows downward (leading edge of blades should be pointing up). This creates a cool breeze similar to rolling down a car window. Also, turn off fans when gone.
- Draw blinds, shades or drapes to block the sun during the hottest part of the day.
- Use a microwave rather than the oven to keep the kitchen cooler.
- Avoid using the stove and oven during the hottest part of the day.
- Avoid doing laundry and running dishwashers during the hottest part of the day.
Find more tips at PNM.com/tips.
With headquarters in Albuquerque, PNM is the largest electricity provider in New Mexico, serving more than 500,000 customers in dozens of communities across the state. PNM is a subsidiary of PNM Resources, an energy holding company also headquartered in Albuquerque. For more information, visit PNM.com.