About This Policy
This environmental policy consists of principles that outline our commitment to managing the environmental impacts of our activities, operations and people as well as the continual improvement of our environmental practices. While the guiding principles of the Environmental Policy will endure, specific procedures, processes and associated goals prove more dynamic and PNM will change these as necessary to reflect market, regulatory and operational conditions.
PNM Resources is dedicated to protecting our environment and complying with all regulations. We recognize and believe in the importance of protecting human health and preserving the environment. We accomplish this through careful planning, strong policies, robust controls and excellent operations.
We are committed to providing responsible leadership for the preservation of the environment and to continuously improving our operations to reduce environmental impact.
Our environmental management approach integrates environmental leadership, operational excellence, and compliance and accountability. Specifically, we pursue:
- Seek opportunities that balance environmental stewardship, system reliability, stakeholder satisfaction and customer affordability.
- Maintain a comprehensive environmental management system.
- Proactively participate in the development of reasonable and workable environmental legislation and regulation that protect the environment and our customers.
- Participate in strategic discussions about environmental issues.
- Raise awareness, encourage participation, and educate employees and customers.
- Promote customer choice through options that protect the environment and satisfy customers.
- Support environmental research and development, as well as environmental projects and community partnerships through corporate giving and employee engagement.
- Promote environmental protection and wise resource management approaches in our planning and operations and foster continuous improvement. This includes permitting, construction, maintenance and other decision-making, including pollution prevention, renewable energy, new technologies, energy efficiency, emission and waste reductions, resource conservation, wildlife and human health and the environment.
- Conduct a thorough assessment and mitigation when incidents occur resulting in negative environmental impact to prevent reoccurrence.
- Expect adherence to best practices in environmental management from all suppliers and contractors.
- Proactively seek reuse and recycling opportunities.
- Leverage technology that promotes environmental protection and cost effectiveness.
- Comply with environmental regulations and applicable codes of practice including local, state, federal and tribal laws and regulations.
- Prevent excess air emissions, spills and improper water discharges.
- Educate and empower employees to protect and preserve the environment in their daily activities.
- Conduct regular assessments of the environmental aspects and impacts of our operations. This includes regular independent and internal environmental reviews conducted through comprehensive audits and corrective action programs.
- Follow economically reasonable and environmentally protective procedures in the absence of explicit environmental laws or regulations.
- Transparently communicate environmental performance to the appropriate regulatory agency.
- Engage stakeholders to understand and/or address environmental issues and concerns (E.g., impacts, siting, renewables, etc.)