My Safety: Household Appliances
Electric safety tips
- Never use an appliance while standing in water or bathing.
- Don't dry your hair when standing on a damp floor.
- Don't touch plumbing or other metal objects while using
an appliance or tool.
- Turn off appliances not in use. It's safer and it saves
- Always unplug appliances when working on them.
- Place heaters away from materials that might catch fire.
- Don't place photos, knick-knacks, CDs or newspapers on
top of TV or cabinets holding electronics. The heat could
- Never replace a bulb with one that uses more watts than
the original bulb. When in doubt, don't use anything larger
than a 60-watt bulb.
- Keep lamps away from drapes, curtains, furniture and other
- When buying tools and appliances, check for the Underwriters
Laboratories (UL) seal of approval. This means it's been
tested for safety.
- Don't clean TVs or radios with liquid or aerosol cleaners.