Oct. 21, 2013
PNM Wants To Help You Save Energy and Stay Warm This Winter
Albuquerque: PNM wants customers to stay warm while saving energy this winter. There are many low-cost and no-cost ways to save on your winter energy bill. Properly preparing your home for cold weather can help you save on your electric bill and keep you warm.
Winter heating can increase your electricity bill but small changes can make a big difference. Many of these don't even cost a thing.
- Seal off unused rooms by closing doors, return air vents and floor or wall registers.
- Open south-facing window curtains, drapes and blinds during the day to use the sun's warmth. Close the window coverings at night to keep in the heat.
- Be sure your electric water heater is set no higher than 125 degrees. And, use water-saving showerheads to ensure you use even less heated water.
- Lower your thermostat when you are away from your home or at night when you are sleeping.
- Dress for the season, wear socks and sweaters indoors.
- Use ceiling fans throughout the winter to allow warm air to circulate throughout your home. Reverse the blade direction for the winter setting.
There are many low-cost do-it-yourself options to weatherizing your home.
- Weather-strip and caulk your drafty doors and windows.
- Install plastic film on windows.
- Install foam insulation gaskets behind electric outlets and switch plate covers.
- Installing a programmable thermostat can help save energy when programmed appropriately.
- Replace dirty furnace filters.
- Since lights will be on for longer periods more frequently, make sure to convert to compact fluorescent or LED lights for indoor and outdoor use, where appropriate. Adding lighting timers can help you save any more by ensuring lights turn off at the appropriate times.
Using electric space heaters can raise your bill. Electric space heaters are best used for heating a small and occupied area. Be sure to turn other heating systems to 62 degrees or lower when using a space heater. For your safety and the safety of your family, please follow all operating guidelines for the use of space heaters.
For more information on ways to save electricity and PNM energy efficiency rebate programs, visit www.pnm.com.
With headquarters in Albuquerque, PNM is the largest electricity provider in New Mexico, serving 500,000 customers in dozens of communities across the state. PNM is a subsidiary of PNM Resources, an energy holding company also headquartered in Albuquerque. For more information, visit PNM.com.