April 8, 2015
PNM spring cleaning tips and energy saving reminders
Albuquerque: Spring is here and summer is just around the corner, it's the ideal time to improve the safety and energy efficiency of your home while households are in the spring cleaning mode. PNM has a few spring cleaning tips, recommendations and would like to remind customers of PNM programs that can help identify ways to be more energy efficient and save money.
PNM encourages customers to consider tackling these spring cleaning tasks that can add up to real energy savings and will help keep their home safe.
- Vacuum refrigerator coils ¿ Dust that builds up on refrigerator coils can cause the motor to work harder, using more energy.
- Clean oven and range ¿ A range or oven darkened from heavy use absorbs more heat, reducing its efficiency.
- Clean or replace HVAC filters ¿ A dirty filter will slow air flow and cause your system to use more energy.
- Replace smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries ¿ Replace batteries in all detectors at least once a year.
- Move flammables ¿ Clear away flammable materials and liquids from gas furnaces and other heat sources.
- Clean out dryer ducts ¿ Blocked dryer ducts make your machine work harder than necessary.
- Call 811 before you dig ¿ Locate underground utility lines before digging any holes in the yard.
- Have solar panels cleaned ¿ Having panels cleaned once a year can help maintain their output potential.
Home Energy Checkup
For customers looking to take their energy savings even farther this spring, PNM offers a Home Energy Checkup. Customers can find out what areas in their home use the most energy and learn ways to conserve. Small changes, for example washing clothes in cold water, turning off your computer at night and setting your refrigerator temperature to 38 degrees, among others, can save up to $100 a year or more. To learn more about the Home Energy Checkup, visit www.pnm.com/checkup or call (855) 775-6491 to schedule your PNM Home Energy Checkup today.
PNM has a number of programs that can help customers identify ways to be more energy efficient and save money. Find more tips at www.pnm.com/save.
With headquarters in Albuquerque, PNM is the largest electricity provider in New Mexico, serving more than 500,000 customers in dozens of communities across the state. PNM is a subsidiary of PNM Resources, an energy holding company also headquartered in Albuquerque. For more information, visit PNM.com.